Saturday, August 31, 2024

Glass Flowers

 So long as I was at Harvard, I went to see the glass flowers at the university's Museum of Natural History.


I knew that Harvard had this collection but I had never visited.  The flowers are AMAZINGLY realistic, made from 1886 to almost 1930 by father and son Czech glassblowers, Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka.



While I was there, a faculty member (light blue shirt) explained the exhibits to guests.



Entranced by the models' beauty and accuracy, Boston residents Elizabeth C. Ware and her daughter Mary Lee Ware agreed to finance the creation of an entire collection.


I am a bit of a gardener, and I swear I would not be able to tell the difference between some of these glass models and the plants on which they were modeled.

1 comment:

Taken For Granted said...

What an amazing collection. They were most talented artists who worked in glass.