Thursday, May 16, 2024

Southport - I

 I drove to Southport on the Connecticut shore to walk around the historic district.  There were many beautiful and interesting houses, so I will post a few each day for three days.  There is a Buildings of New England website from which I got information about some of the houses.


This 1830 Greek Revival house was built for Austin Perry, a successful merchant.   Buildings of New England notes its balanced, symmetrical design with massive Corinthian columns surmounted by a carved anthemion motif ornamenting the gable pediment.


This is the Henry Perry house from 1832. 


I don't know anything about this house, but I do admire the columns and balustrade.



This is an 1861 Victorian Gothic house built in 1861 for Moses Bulkley.


Another Perry house!  Buildings of New England notes that this one was built around 1830 for Charles Perry, a successful ship owner and sea captain.

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Taken For Granted said...

A fine collection of Colonial style homes. I look forward to seeing more over the next few days.