Thursday, May 9, 2024

Back in Connecticut

 Well, I'm back in Ridgefield, Connecticut.  I walked around the yard.  It is too late for the blooming of forsythia, tulips and most daffodils, as well as a pair of cherry trees by the entrance to the driveway.  A kwanzan cherry tree planted two years ago has some small blooms; it probably needs a couple more years of growth before its bloom will be substantial and strong.  


Lilacs in two different spots are in late stages of bloom.  The ones in the bottom photo were tall and spindly when I bought this house, so I cut back one third each year for three years.  They are better heights and fuller now.  The bloom is Ok but I expect the real payoff will come next year.

A few clumps of white daffodils have a couple of days remaining.

A weeping Japanese maple planted last summer has leafed out.  It looks strong and healthy.

Several new pieris andromeda plants have also put out healthy leaves.  I am optimistic about them.

And, of course, the healthiest plants by far are the weeds.  I have some work ahead of me. 

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

A weed workout sounds tough.

Taken For Granted said...

I love seeing all those spring blooms.

JudithK said...

Oh. Lilacs. I do love them. A long time ago, I remember them growing here...but haven't seen one in a long time. I suppose it's gotten to hot for them.