Built in 1740 on Ridgefield's Main Street for David Hoyt, a loyalist in the Revolutionary War. After the Battle of Ridgefield, the British troops stayed overnight on the property.
Because of his pro-British sympathies, Hoyt became uncomfortable in the colonies after the war, so he left for England in 1790 and never returned.
A few years ago the current owners converted the house into a beautiful inn.
The Fountain Inn is across the street from the Cass Gilbert fountain, the symbol of Ridgefield.