Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Out of the Jurisdiction: Bergen

Bergen is Norway's second biggest city and a former capital.  It is on the west coast, surrounded by mountains (hence the name) and at the end of a long fjord.  Bergen is a major port city for cruise ships, pleasure craft and ships serving the nearby offshore oil and gas platforms.  
I boarded my cruise ship in Bergen.


Bergen has a law that every visitor must photograph these old wooden storefronts.



Oil is Norway's biggest export.  Second are colorful wool sweaters with snowflake patterns.


Norway has the finest manhole covers in the world, bar none.



Starbucks has snatched a prime waterfront location for its coffee shop.


A statue in a prominent Bergen square honors Ludvig Holberg, Baron of Holberg, a historian, essayist, poet and philosopher who is considered the founder of Danish and Norwegian literature.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

I love that man hole cover!

Bill said...

Beautiful looking city and that manhole cover is unique.

Taken For Granted said...

Wonderfully colorful photos of Bergen. I can see why those shops get photographed. Fine manhole covers, but not sure about the most beautiful.

RedPat said...

It looks like a beautiful spot, Jack. Looking forward to your next stop!

William Kendall said...

It's interesting to see a place through another photoblogger's eyes. I know Bergen quite well by now through Inna's blog. You put it in another light.

Kate said...

Terrific architecture and it looks to be a lovely day, too.

everydaybergen said...

The mountains around is Ulriken, Fløyen, Gravdal, Lyderhorn and few more. Nice pictures, but I think is many more attraction in Bergen then only Bryggen. This is the most photographed place and just 500 meter far is much more picturesque place Sandviken. Also the Hakonshallen and festning. Next time if anybody will want to visit Bergen and Hordaland I may give you solution for what and where. Even if you will want to see only the landscape. I am not sure about the links in the comments , but if you want to find me, I am every day in the group.

jennyfreckles said...

I wonder how many visitors photograph both the shops and the manhole covers? I bet a lot of people don't look down to notice those.