Saturday, May 2, 2015

Potters and Pottery

I wanted to find a potter working at a wheel for the May 1 theme of "revolution,"
but I never found one.  But, I did find some potters and ceramicists.  


Clare is from the southern coast of England.  She has a Naples store (Earth & Fire) where
you can buy blank pieces of pottery and paint them.  Clare will fire the pieces and
produce a nicely glazed item for you to take home.  Lots of people do this at parties.


Jim Rice has had a pottery studio (The Clay Place) in Naples since 1974.
He specializes in making fish dishes and platters.


Jennifer is from Ghana.  She makes pottery bead necklaces and other jewelry.


And, Doris is from Austria.  Her jewelry is made in the Italian millefiori style, though most
millefiori is made from shiny glass and Doris's jewelry is made from clay and has a matte finish.

18 comments:

Andy said...

Jack you always seem to meet up with people with the nicest smiles.

Mo said...

Carrying your camera around sounds way better than carrying the pruners, Mr Clipper!

Luis Gomez said...

Very nice group of images Jack. Have a great weekend.

Kate said...

Very colorful post today, Jack. Summer is the best time of year for art fairs here in MN, and I am anxiously waiting for the first one, The St Croix Valley Potters Tour and Fair.

EG CameraGirl said...

ice variety of pottery made in Naples!

Hmmm. I have a potter friend and never even thought of photographing her at her wheel. What was I thinking???

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh pottery abounds in Naples.. Did you buy some to take home and paint Jack?

Sharon said...

That is quite a lot of pottery making going on in Naples. I have a weakness for pottery and ceramics so I have to steer clear of these places.

Sylvia K said...

A lot of pottery making indeed!! Great shots as always and lots of wonderful smiles as well -- those are always my favorite!! Hope you have a a great, fun weekend, Jack!! Enjoy!!

VP said...

Another great series of portraits, as always. I had to check millefiori, which I only knew as an excellent layered cake. Now I know it is also a fascinating technique to work the glass. Thank you for teaching me an Italian word I didn't know!

cieldequimper said...

With pottery you're after my heart...

RedPat said...

Somehow I never thought of a pottery wheel, Jack! And I could easily find one - oh well. ;-)

William Kendall said...

Your artisans are quite good at what they do!

Birdman said...

Naples is just jam packed with artisans. One shop after another. Must be pretty competitive.

jennyfreckles said...

Wonderful stuff - and some more lovely portraits. Is everyone in Naples good-looking? It seems so.

Lois said...

Beautiful stuff and people too! I want that platter in the first picture.

Randy said...

The ceramics shop looks like fun.

Gunn said...

You must be good at meeting people.
Your artistic models look relaxed.

An interesting and very nice posting.

Kay said...

Your quest produced plenty of great shots nonetheless.