Thursday, December 11, 2014

Out of the Jurisdiction: German Village


I am spending a couple of days in Columbus, Ohio, where I worked from 2004 to 2010.


I lived in German Village, a red brick enclave from the late 19th century, 
where the brewery workers lived.  Beautiful, though cold and cloudy this week.


German Village is just south of downtown Columbus.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places, the largest privately funded preservation district on the list.


The house on the left is where I lived.


Once or twice a week I ate at the Old Mohawk, an old-fashioned restaurant
featuring  simple comfort foods.  



This beauty faces Schiller Park.


The architects of this ornate house tossed in every feature they could think of. 


Tourists come from all around to eat at Schmidt's Sausage Haus,
featuring a Bahama Mama with sauerkraut and horseradish. 


Lindey's is the best restaurant in Columbus.  It is the place to rub elbows with politicians,
neighbors and the powerful.

19 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I've said it before and it;s true: you DO get around, Jack! You must have itchy feet. :)

Ed said...

Great pictures of German Village. I also spent some time in Columbus while attending grad school ('75-'79) at OSU. I do remember visiting some of the fine restaurants in German Village. These pictures bring back some fond memories. Thanks for sharing.

Karl said...

Great series, Jack, it's nice to discover another fragment of your life.

Luis Gomez said...

I love German Village. Have been there couple of times and it has always been very nice.

Kate said...

What a great tour, Jack. It is a page out of the past, isn't it. So lovely, unique, and picturesque!

Sharon said...

What a beautiful place to visit (and live). I love all the brick and it looks especially festive with the holiday decorations up.

Lowell said...

Good grief, what a beautiful area. I had no idea. You were fortunate to have that time there, I think.

I was once offered a job in Columbus but turned it down as I preferred the weather in Texas! Maybe I would have moved if I knew this area was there! :)

Sylvia K said...

A lovely area indeed! I do love all of those old brick houses/buildings! Thanks, as always, for sharing -- your pics are the next best thing to being there and you do take us to so many fun/interesting and beautiful places!! Hope your week is going well!!

VP said...

Your out-of-jurisdiction tours are simply outstanding!

Birdman said...

Was going to say. "Jack, we're not in Naples anymore." What beautiful buildings in your photographs.

William Kendall said...

I really like the architectural style of these homes and buildings. Beautiful!

RedPat said...

These pics look like you are here in Toronto (especially in the Annex neighbourhood) - I love all the pics. We are getting snow today so I wonder if you are too.

Malyss said...

Beautiful houses but they really dontlook like german buildings!

Kay said...

This looks like a wonderful place to live. How nice that is has stayed intact.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful neighborhood.

Randy said...

Great looking houses.

Tanya Breese said...

ohhh i really love your old stomping grounds! how old was your house?

Linda said...

Charming buildings, and nicely decorated too.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

German Village looks lovely all Chrismassed up Jack, love all the rjch red touches.