Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Charter Oak

Back to the Capitol again.  The Charter Oak is the symbol of the State of Connecticut.  There was a huge oak tree in Hartford, dating from the 1200s or 1300s.  In 1662 King Charles II granted Connecticut a charter with extensive autonomy.  His successor, James II, sent an emissary in 1687 to revoke the charter.  Instead of handing over the charter, some leading Connecticut citizens hid it in a hollow spot within the old oak tree.  Here is the State of Connecticut's telling of the tale. 
NEWS FLASH:  NBC last night corrected its earlier report about the closing of the last manual typewriter factory in Mumbai.  Apparently, there is one other small factory still producing typewriters, so they aren't dead yet.

14 comments:

Regina K said...

Wonderful and unique details on the Capitol.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

The detail of the white oak is fabulous... Your state may be small in size but the history is enormous. What a story to pass down through the centuries.

I love the "lattice?" detail over the arch. The Capitol has been well cared for and maintainted.

Bises,
G

Kate said...

I, too, heard the news flash about the typewriters. I wonder who still uses them? I agree with Genie re. the detail on and above the arch plus the historical significance of your state.

Halcyon said...

This is a beautiful detail! Thanks for telling us the story that goes with it as well. :)

Enjoyed my time back in Mississippi. I think spring may finally have come to Toronto too!

Lynette said...

Gorgeous shots of the Capitol, Jack. I find history posts like yours fascinating. Thanks!

Sharon said...

The detail on this building is amazing and I love the bits of history you share.

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic captures, Jack! I love the detail and thanks as always for the history! What a gorgeous capitol building! I love it! And very interesting the update on typewriters! Hope you have a great day!

Sylvia

cieldequimper said...

Excellent story, beautiful relief and good news about typewriters!

VP said...

Thanks for the interesting story, this bas-relief is simply gorgeous!

RedPat said...

The carving on that building is incredible - the tree is so wonderfully done! Thanks for showing us.

Lowell said...

I'm glad to hear that story about your early Connecticutians. I always thought folks from the great state of Connecticut were a bunch of rebels! Hah! Now you've confirmed that. :-)

But what is the difference between a water oak, a live oak and a charter oak?

And it doesn't take me any time at all to make those curvy lines in my photos. I just stand on my head and spin around when I press the shutter.

Unknown said...

Fantastic carvings! I told you I love this façade. :-)

Michelle said...

What wonderful carvings. So very detailed.

Randy said...

I love the close up of the tree. It really is beautiful.