Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Heron Caught a Fish

On recent visits to Elizabeth Park, the great blue heron was either hiding or just sunbathing.  
But, on my most recent trip, after fifteen minutes of posing, he flew over to my side of the pond, stared at the movement in the water that indicated fish below . . .


 . . . and speared one.



Preparing to eat a fish involves some complicated juggling.  He has to maneuver the fish into
 a head first position.  This was an early move in his juggling act.


I was fiddling with my camera's controls when he lined the fish up and swallowed.  (I am SO mad at myself!)  But, I did manage to get an image when the fish was on its way down his long throat.

4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I've always thought how a satisfied heron must have many fish in his stomach, and those bigger ones must wiggle around for a while. I guess it's something that he's happy to feel. It's hard to keep staring through a lens to capture all the gestures of wildlife, so don't beat yourself up.

RedPat said...

It is hard to believe he could swallow such a huge fish, Jack!

Taken For Granted said...

This Blue Heron is quite agile with that long bill to be able to maneuver the fish around. While the Herons are hard on the fish population, they thrive on all that food.

William Kendall said...

Not so lucky for the fish, but the heron's happy.