Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Out of the Jurisdiction: Savannah, Georgia

I got to Savannah with about 45 minutes of light remaining.  So, I went for a fast walk.


United States Post Office.


Telfair museums.  It was closed.  I have never been inside.


Two cute kids and a photographer.


Streetscape.


I love the details as I walk the streets.


Birthplace of Juliet Low, founder of the Girl Scouts.


Independent Presbyterian Church.


James Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia Colony. Designed and created by Daniel Chester French, sculptor of the Abraham Lincoln statue in the Lincoln Memorial.  Oglethorpe presides over 
Chippewa Square, facing south so that he can “keep a watchful eye on the Spanish.”



Every time I am in Savannah, it seems I end up near the Six Pence Pub when I am ready for dinner.

Naples tomorrow.

9 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Some beautiful old buildings, some of which would fit in well in any UK city. From what I've heard Princess Margaret would feel more at home among the spirits bottles than her sister.

Kate said...

Savannah is a VERY interesting city! I'm sure that your have read _Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil_ as well as seen/toured Mercer House where the killing occurred. Of all your varied photos today, Streetscape speaks to me so well of Savannah.

William Kendall said...

The decor at the Six Pence is fascinating! Perhaps you can get into the museum sometime down the line.

Sharon said...

That is one city I've never visited. I need to correct that.

RedPat said...

I've never been there either Jack, so thanks for the tour. And a good place to end is a pub!

Mersad said...

I have seen and read so much about Savannah before and what always stunned me was the architecture. Such a great place for travel and photogrpahy. Your images are really stunning. Wish you a great day!

jennyfreckles said...

Some lovely buildings there. And it looks a nice evening for a stroll.

Sharon said...

What great shots! Such a pretty city.

Stefan Jansson said...

The streetscape photo is my favorite here.