Monday, September 7, 2020

Duck

 

I don't profess to be a birding expert, but I think this is a female blue winged teal.


Update:  Jennyfreckles suggested that these are mallards.  I always associate mallards with the bright green head for the male, and there are none of those in Elizabeth Park.  But, checking on the Cornell ornithology page, I see that the bright male coloration is for BREEDING males and the NON-BREEDING males look much like the females and have yellow beaks.  So, I stand corrected.  And educated. 




These, too.

5 comments:

Taken For Granted said...

That duck posed beautifully for you, and it had a great deal to say in the process. Lovely series.

jennyfreckles said...

Good shots of their behaviour. Not sure of the ID - they look like female mallards to me. Blue winged teal are quite small and have black bills.

RedPat said...

I have no idea what they are but the pics are great, Jack!

JudithK said...

You may not have had the correct ID, but the photo of the wings coming together more than redeems you.

William Kendall said...

They seem quite vocal.