Saturday, September 28, 2013

American School for the Deaf



Last year I showed Gallaudet Hall, the main building at the American School for the Deaf.  It has become too expensive to maintain for a declining enrollment of deaf students.  So, the school built a new, smaller building in front of it.  The new building was ready for the start of school and gets good marks from the students.  Gallaudet will be demolished next year.

The central glass structure of the new building recalls Gallaudet's cupola, shown below behind the new building.  The school is trying to figure out if the cupola can be saved and placed elsewhere on the property.


13 comments:

Birdman said...

What?
Ok, that's bad.
Two Hail Marys and an Our Father...

William Kendall said...

The cupola is certainly worth saving!

Sylvia K said...

Yes, I think it is worth saving, too! We always seem to loose so much of the beauty with "progress"!! Great shots and always, Jack!! Enjoy your weekend!

Sharon said...

I do hope they can save it and use it somewhere else.

Janet said...

Sure hope they can save that cupola!

VP said...

An interesting building, my best wishes to the nice cupola.

Mersad said...

The building really does look good.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

RedPat said...

We have to preserve these pieces of history, Jack!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I wish they would save the entire building and find another use for it.

Kay said...

Now that could be a real challenge! If it was engineered as it should have been and built when I think it was the darned thing can probably withstand a nuclear blast. But what a lovely piece if they can manage to get it off in one piece.

Randy said...

I have a fiend who attended that school years ago.

Unknown said...

I hope they will save it. There must be a lot of ways of keeping it on the school setting.

Unknown said...

Sad to hear of the older building being demolished. Interestingly, I was just having a conversation with my fifth grader about Perkins School for the Blind and the School for the Deaf. I'll have to be sure to show her your photo!