The Scott House was built at a prominent location on Ridgefield's Main Street in 1713 by an Irish immigrant, David Scott. It passed through many hands over the centuries. By the end of the 20th century it had become decrepit and was no longer suitable for occupancy, especially in the center of town.
In 1999 the Scott House was acquired by a preservation trust and a fundraising campaign began. The house was disassembled and, when enough funds were raised, reassembled several blocks away from the center of town. It is now occupied by the Ridgefield Historical Society.