Saturday, February 13, 2021

Pileated Woodpeckers

I saw several pileated woodpeckers in the last week.  (Autocorrect thought I saw pileated newspapers.)

 

Seeing and photographing are two different things.  Sometimes they were too far away.  Sometimes they hid on the back side of a tree.  Sometimes they moved too fast.  Sometimes they left before I was ready.

Often they chose the side of a tree that was in the shade.  Like the one on the right.  At least one of the pair stayed where I could photograph him.

I thought this pair of pileated woodpeckers would be winners, but they stayed in the shade and eventually the top woodpecker flew off.  (I show this only to illustrate that taking good photographs of wildlife is harder than it might seem.)  Oh, well.  There is always tomorrow.

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha, I know what you mean woodpeckers are funny that way.

Barbara Rogers said...

THey are certainly beautiful big birds...what a treat!

RedPat said...

The only time I caught one it took forever and he had flown pretty far away but I was still happy to get a pic anyway!

jennyfreckles said...

They are pretty good attempts I think. They are cute - look like they're wearing a little French beret.

Taken For Granted said...

Good to see Woody Woodpecker alive and well. The Pileated woodpecker was Walter Lantz's inspiration for Woody. Their population has been decimated by loss of habitat, namely the long leaf pine.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful! I remember one of these birds knocking into a window at my parents' home. I sat nearby it to keep the cats away until it recovered itself enough to fly off.

JudithK said...

I have never seen a pileated newspaper before. Bor a pileated woodpecker. The latter don't come this far west in TX. Don't know about the former. Looks like the original Woody Woodpecker though.