Monday, August 5, 2019

Tobacco Barns

Centuries of spring floods have made the Connecticut River valley fertile.  A longtime crop has been the big, smooth tobacco leaves that wrap cigars.  In my 40 years in Greater Hartford, the sight of
 long red barns in fields near the airport has been an iconic Connecticut postcard view.


This spring, the owner of the field demolished dozens of the barns.  I saw fewer than a dozen still standing.  The tobacco harvest continues around the unsightly remains.  Even though I am
 not a smoker, I am a bit sad to see the end of this bit of local history.




10 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

I gave up smoking many years ago. Kom guessing the old barns were no longer in use then.

Barbara Rogers said...

I think it was in your area that I used to see gauze wrapped fields where shade grown tobacco was grown...those leaves were special for something in tobacco products. Of course now the North Carolina industry has also declined. A friend makes walking sicks out of tobacco hanging sticks...good wood. Sorry to see the old barns go!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Brought back memories of the tobacco barns in Central Africa Jack.

Michelle said...

Not many people in my area grow tobacco anymore. Just a rare few. Like you, I am sad to see that bit of history leave.

RedPat said...

Most of the tobacco fields here are now growing soybeans. It is the end of an era.

Taken For Granted said...

Tobacco is not grown in the Midwest, so this is not our tradition. Tobacco has caused more death than the automobile so I am not sad to see its use decline, but it is sad to see these shifts in agriculture. Barns of all kinds are disappearing from the landscape.

Sharon said...

I had no idea that tobacco was grown in your area. I guess I always associate it with the southern states. It is sad to see such iconic place go.

Bill said...

I never knew that tobacco was grown in your area either. Sad to see those iconic buildings demolished.

Susan Kane said...

I have heard that tobacco is being researched for medicinal uses.

My parents smoked for 40 years. Mom died of COPD and Dad from esophageal cancer brought on by smoking.

William Kendall said...

There is a small area of Southern Ontario where tobacco is also grown.