Friday, February 3, 2017

Fort Ogden


Exploring the less settled countryside north of Fort Myers, I noticed a little town just off the highway.
Fort Ogden.  It had a prominent little Methodist church, that looked just like the kind up north.


And a little cemetery in a big central park, that also looked just like the kind up north.
The tall dark monument in the center rear is for Ziba King, a cattle baron
who once owned ten percent of the cattle in Florida.



But, to prove that I was still in Florida, the park had plenty of live oaks 
with Spanish moss dripping from the branches.

10 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Very tranquil - anything less like a fort is hard to imagine.

Taken For Granted said...

From your photos it looks like New England folks have been wintering in Florida for a long time. I see that one grave stone has a date from the 1870s.

Karl said...

Waht a cute little Church, Jack.
And the Spanish moss, incredible !

Sharon said...

The church and cemetery are perfectly "northern" looking but those trees are without a doubt southern. Looks like a great place to stop and look around as you did.

jennyfreckles said...

The church does look rather New Englandy.

William Kendall said...

I like the look of the church, and always enjoy seeing Spanish moss. I've no doubt seen it in person when I was a kid- the only time I've been that far south, but it's not in my memory.

RedPat said...

What a fabulous growth of Spanish Moss, Jack!

Bob Crowe said...

A place to shoot a ghost story movie.

Linda said...

What a charming church!

Kay said...

Beautiful church! And I suppose it's that southern climate that keeps those tombstones in such pristine condition. Either that or the King clan has them regularly polished. That Spanish moss makes me think of ballet dancers gliding across a stage.