Saturday, April 2, 2016

A Slow Round of Golf


It was a slow round of golf, with lots of waiting.  Fortunately, I brought a small camera
because some nice birds have been near the course recently.


My favorite wading bird is the wood stork.  They are classified as endangered by both 
the State of Florida and the federal government, but they are often near my golf course.  
Their biggest longterm threats are the destruction and degradation of the wetlands.
 

 Golfer X gave the ball a long ride.

A great white egret waded into a small pond with a heavy cover of duckweed.
His head kept bobbing as he searched for insects and fish.

I asked Golfer Y if he minded if I used this photo of him.  His response:
"Is this the hole I hit a great drive, knocked it a little over the green, putted down the hill, and made the put for a par and an 83? If so, you definitely have my permission."

10 comments:

Andy said...

A fun interesting day on the golf course. Good thing you took your camera along.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I used to cross a golf course regularly. I felt I was an endangered species at times!

Mo said...

A great story in these images

joo said...

You've mamde my day with this post, Jack!

jennyfreckles said...

I don't think I'd get much golf done with all those birds to look at. They are not the species you'd see on golf courses here.

William Kendall said...

The birds are quite a sight!

Sharon said...

Great set of shots on the golf course. That stork looks like it's had it's head in a mud puddle.

RedPat said...

The egret is beautiful, Jack!

SRQ said...

Looks like a beautiful course with wonderful wildlife. Definitely a wise idea to bring your camera!

Bob Crowe said...

I don't get golf but then I have zero athletic talent. Mark Twain described it as a good walk spoiled. But that picture of the egret in the muck is wonderful.