In 1874, a branch of the railroad line from Norwalk to Danbury was extended into Ridgefield, a short distance from the growing downtown. Wealthy New Yorkers could now reach Ridgefield easily. Some built mansions with hilltop views of the Long Island Sound, some of the Hudson River.
The spur line was abandoned in 1925 when automobiles made many other towns easily reachable. The former terminus is now incorporated into a hardware and building supply business. A very nice trail for walking, running and bicycling has taken the place of the abandoned rail line.