Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Red Umbrella

I have read that the Travelers' red umbrella is the most recognized commercial symbol in the country.

This red umbrella greets visitors to the Travelers' main office in downtown Hartford.

In the second photograph, electronic images of the red umbrella amuse passengers (i.e., travelers with a small "T") at Bradley International Airport.  As passengers walk past the umbrella display -- formed from little red umbrellas that look like peppers -- some of the passengers obstruct the beam of light projecting the images, causing the umbrellas to break up and reassemble in random ways.

If we didn't have flights to catch, some of us would stand there waving our arms for hours.



8 comments:

Janet said...

I would spend my time playing Shadow in that place.

Sharon said...

That airport display is very clever. I'd be one wanting to stand there and watch it. I love how the umbrella on the street mirrors the green roof behind it.

Halcyon said...

I find some of the Traveller's commercials to be really annoying. But I do like the giant umbrella! And I'd probably be one of those airport travellers who would wave their arms for hours. :D

Stefan Jansson said...

Never heard about it before today.

Jilly said...

What fun! There's something about umbrellas that are great to photograph - bit like bicycles. Love the idea of those electronic images.

Menton Daily Photo

Monte Carlo Daily Photo

Birdman said...

Don't get me talkin' about insurance companies... hahahaha!

VP said...

These umbrellas are quite fun, simplicity is often genial and invites photography!

Shirley said...

The red umbrella is an interesting recurring theme. Great shots!