Sunday, March 29, 2015

St. Peter's Basilica

This trip to Italy is nearing its end, but there are a few more days to show you.
Photographs are not permitted in the Sistine Chapel. But, there is still plenty to see at the Vatican.


The Basilica of St. Peter and an Egyptian obelisk are seen from St. Peter's Square.
This square will be packed today for Palm Sunday.


Construction started near the start of the 16th century and took about 125 years to complete.
The nave of the basilica leads toward the dome.


Here is the dome of St. Peter's.


The Pieta is one of Michelangelo's first major works, completed in 1499 when he was 23.
It is in the first chapel on the right side of the basilica. 

11 comments:

Malyss said...

The only problem in Vatican is that there's soooooo much to see !
Every corner has something to offer . I think it could take years before to really see everything .

Luis Gomez said...

Always beautiful to see.

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh there is a lot of people inside St. Peter's. I don't recall there being quite that many when I was there. I have a photograph of one of the statues inside the church hanging in my living room.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's pretty spectacular Jack, must admit when we were there the queues to get in put me off :)

Sylvia K said...

An amazing and beautiful place and your photos are the next best thing to being there, Jack, as always. Enjoy the remainder of your trip -- camera in hand, of course!!

William Kendall said...

I imagine that it's time of year that brings out that many people to the Vatican. Spectacular shots!

RedPat said...

That looks too crowded for me! Thanks for showing us these pics, Jack.

Michelle said...

What a spectacular place to visit.

Randy said...

I would love to visit there one day.

Bob Crowe said...

You can't appreciate how vast it is until you stand there.

jennyfreckles said...

Even your photo of the Pieta made me feel emotional. I must go to Rome!