Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Visiting the Wadsworth Atheneum Again

Sunday in Hartford was bone-chilling.  A good day to stay inside.  So, I went to the art museum.


This is a nose.


See?  I told you.  Chuck Close, Self Portrait (2007).



 Different works catch your eye on different visits to a museum.  On Sunday I was captivated by black on white swan (2016) by American artist Vanessa German.  It is assembled from porcelain dolls, shells, keys, bottles, buttons and the like.  German intends the work as contemporary social commentary as well as a reference to figures that ward off evil in Congolese communities.


In an exhibition of paintings by 18th and 19th century American artist John Trumbull, a man standing near me seemed to know a lot about the exhibition.  With good reason.  Meet Tom Loughman, 
who became the director of the Wadsworth Atheneum a year ago.


A security guard (right) showed a patron something about a large painting in an exhibition of woodblock prints and paintings by the 18th century Japanese artist Utamaro.


A bored security guard looked into Morgan Great Hall.


Another security guard.  This one is Lola.


Lola posed in front of Helen Frankenthaler's Sea Picture in Black (1959).

8 comments:

Kate said...

You met some interesting people in there! Love the headdress on "Black on White Swan." So glad that you could take photos in there.

Tanya Breese said...

very cool how you showed "the nose"! i also like that black on white swan...beautiful museum!

Sharon said...

Great set of photos. I feel like I've had a little walk around the museum. That sculpture is very interesting. I'd love to study that one myself.

William Kendall said...

The portrait's two takes are my favourite. A beautiful gallery- and a reminder to visit mine again.

Taken For Granted said...

You had a fine, productive day at the museum. Many museums ban cameras, apparently this one allows them.

RedPat said...

I find Chuck Close's work so fascinating! Nice post for a cold day, Jack!

Michelle said...

I do like the, "Black on White Swan". I enjoy folk art and things made with pieces, recycled things, etc...

Kay said...

I always preferred to avoid having people in my shots. I've come to find they really enliven them, particularly as you have them in these shots. I love the two security guards "at work" and Lola's portrait.