Monday, March 13, 2017

St. Patrick's Day -- The Parade


I love bagpipes.  Sorry.



And I love Irish dancing.


Saint Pat faced the other way when he passed by me.
Maybe I should have yelled to catch his attention.


The National Park Service was in the parade.  Shhhhhh.  Don't tell the President.



This is a vehicle used in Big Cypress National Preserve.


More bagpipes!


Florida Gulf Coast University is the local state university.  An Eagle is the mascot.





New York City firefighters marched in force.  This float had 343 flags, 
one for each firefighter who died on September 11, 2001.

There were oodles of politicians, high school marching bands, college alumni groups, retired firemen and police and businesses.  I passed up photographing most of those.

12 comments:

Mersad said...

You had some great weather as well. Wonderful images from the parade as well!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Stefan Jansson said...

Looks like a fun day, I forgive you for liking bagpipes.

Mo said...

I love the chap leading the mark in the first photo. You've certainly captured the essence of the parade.

Tanya Breese said...

i love bagpipes too..enjoyed all the photos...the one with the flags representing the firefighters of 9/11 is touching...i should have gone to our parade but it was just so cold!

Karl said...

Beautiful reportage of the parade, Jack, I like bagpipes too !

RedPat said...

Our parade is next Sunday and it sure won't be as warm as yours was.
My cousin learned to play the bagpipes and is now in a band - it was on her bucket list!

William Kendall said...

The old car is my favourite of these. You definitely had better weather than we did!

Bob Crowe said...

I'm glad that our diaspora gets out and struts its stuff but there is a disconnect between St. Patrick and palm trees. Don't get "Irish dancing" at all, where the legs flail away and the body is rigid from the hips up. The nuns must have had something to do with it.

Gunn said...

What a great and HAPPY event!
Nice documentary!

Kate said...

I agree that bag pipers are special. When younger I had little appreciation for them but that has changed over the years.

jennyfreckles said...

It looks such fun, great pictures too.

Kay said...

Bagpipes and step dancing. Who could ask for anything more?