Monday, February 23, 2015

Age is No Barrier Week: 1. Carl


Back in Ohio, Carl (72) ran the five mile Thanksgiving "turkey trot" for the last 26 consecutive years.
He sold his automotive parts company a few years ago and now lives year-round in Fort Myers.



On Saturday, Carl ran his fourth Festival of Light 5K.  He planned to take it easy and just focus on finishing.  This weekend Carl flies to Utah for a week of skiing.  He also likes barefoot waterskiing.


Admittedly, this is not the best photo, but this is 72-year old Richard Schmidt, a retired doctor and active pilot, who was the fastest finisher in the 70 - 74 category, with the impressive time
of 26:47, or eight-and-a-half minutes per mile.

20 comments:

Oman said...

I agree. health is wealth. long live carl.

Halcyon said...

Both of these guys look very fit! Maybe even more so than some younger men I know.

Birdman said...

Fort Myers?
Hope he's a Sox fan.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That IS impressive Jack and gives one hope that things don't have to fall apart when you reach the seventies :)

Sharon said...

I'm feeling a bit inadequate right now. These are a couple of very impressive guys!

Sylvia K said...

Impressive indeed!! Makes me realize once again how very fortunate I am as well to be as healthy and active as I am at this "ancient age"!!!! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Kudos to both of these impressive gentlemen and to you for capturing and sharing their exuberance.

RedPat said...

Looking good, Jack!! Were you there to support someone?

Malyss said...

I'm impressed !

Mo said...

Cheers guys. Very inspirational

VP said...

No way! I am not convinced and will die lazy...

Taken For Granted said...

These guys are impressive. I've taken more to walking these days as running hurts my knees.

William Kendall said...

Very impressive indeed!

Michelle said...

Examples to us all! How wonderful!

Randy said...

I hope I am that active at his age.

Kay said...

Bravo!

LOLfromPasa said...

Inspiring! Good on these two and well done, Jack...great shots.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Just great Carl and Richard!
Congratulations!

EG CameraGirl said...

I see you took your camera. Should I deduce that you were not running?

SRQ said...

8:30 mile at 72 years young?! That is indeed very impressive. Great series, Jack. (I looked at it backwards 6-1.) We have very active and accomplished retirees in our area, don't we?