In New York City recently, I walked past Rockefeller Center. Once again I was stunned by the interesting and beautiful sculptures.
Atlas is a collaboration between two famed artists, Lee Lawrie, who envisioned and designed the figure, and Rene Chambellan, who modeled the statue from Lawrie's sketch. In Greek mythology, Atlas was a half-man, half-god giant known as a Titan, who helped lead a war against the Olympic gods. After the Titans' defeat, Atlas was condemned by Zeus to carry the world on his shoulders as punishment.
The doors are massive and stunning. I had time limitations, so I didn't have the time to study each one. Oh well, I will be back.




I agree, these are magnificent!
ReplyDeleteI definitely got a crick in my neck looking up at all the sculptures and murals at Rockefeller Center!
ReplyDeleteWow. those are incredible.
ReplyDeleteAn amazing amalgamation. Art Deco plus classical this and that and maybe even the British coat of arms??
ReplyDelete