Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Manatee Park


In the winter, manatees ("sea cows") like the warm water of a canal between the Caloosahatchee and Orange Rivers, where the recirculation water from a power station is discharged.
(Linked to Monday Mural.)


The property is owned by Florida Power & Light but maintained as a state park.


Manatees don't have much fat, so they migrate toward warm water when a cold spell hits Florida.


A couple dozen manatees were there when I visited.  They spend most of their time submerged, at most exposing their backs.  Nostrils appear above the water line for an instant to catch a breath. 


This manatee bears scars from boat propellors. 

12 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

aw i love manatees...so sad how they get beat up and/or killed by the boats :(

Lois said...

This looks like my kind of place! I always enjoy seeing manatees. Such beautiful gentle creatures.

Sharon said...

I don't think I've ever seen one up close before. Excellent shots.

RedPat said...

Such gentle creatures they are, Jack!

Taken For Granted said...

Unfortunately most Manatees bear similar boat propeller marks. They are such gentle creatures. Glad they have found safe and warm water here.

William Kendall said...

They're such gentle giants.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

They are sweet looking. The mural seems to show them in all their laid back poses. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

Mo said...

I think I'll come back as a manatee

jennyfreckles said...

I don't think we see them here. Sad that they have to find warm water and therefore get mixed up with dangerous boats.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

In Brazil they are called Ox Fish

Kay said...

We're not likely to see these in Washington state. Too bad. They seem like such sweet critters. I'm glad they have a little protection in the state park.

Bob Crowe said...

My retired law partner has a condo somewhere down your way. I think she may volunteer here. Or maybe some place like it.