Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Also at the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary . . .


Zebra butterfly.


Look closely.  A turtle's head pops up.


Red lichen.


Broadleaf arrowhead.


See the differences in plant life in the foreground and beyond the boardwalk.  Just one foot higher ground means less retained water.  Means different soil.  Means different plants.
Means different trees and shrubs.  Means different insects, birds and animals.


Can't see the insects, but the rings in the water tell us they are there.


Probably some kind of native holly . . .

10 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What a stunning butterfly!

Sharon said...

Looks like there is quite a lot to admire at this sanctuary. Great photos.

RedPat said...

I love that butterfly! It is probably 30 years since I've been to that sanctuary but I still remember how wonderful it was!

William Kendall said...

The turtle is my favourite.

Bill said...

The butterfly is awesome. The turtle's head at first I thought was some kind of plant. Great shots, seems like an interesting place to visit and photograph.

Stefan Jansson said...

I like the photo of the "fjäril".

Michelle said...

Fantastic picture of that butterfly. Also, I don't believe I have seen red lichen. Interesting!

Tanya Breese said...

What a pretty place and turtle makes me smile 😊

Kay said...

What a great place to visit! The zebra butterfly is a knockout but your peek-a-boo turtle is a wonderful catch, too.

jennyfreckles said...

Red lichen, wow - and such an amazing butterfly. I love wandering around reserves, you see something different each time.