Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rookery Bay

Back in Florida.  The Rookery Bay Preserve lies southeast of Naples.  
It protects 110,000 acres at the  northern end of the Thousand Islands.


 Up a Creek Kayaking Tours leads kayakers in tours through Rookery Bay, 
along miles of mangrove forests.  


Mangroves provide hiding places and food for birds, fish, oysters, barnacles, shellfish and other animals.  In turn, these animals provide food for larger critters, like these ibises.


Mangroves grow on top of oyster beds.


Along the way, Susan -- the owner of the kayaking company and a naturalist -- stopped to show guests a big horse conch with its bright orange body.  The horse conch is the state shell of Florida.


Later Susan showed a cluster of oysters, explaining the vital role oysters have in 
filtering the water and providing the base for mangroves to grow on.


A morning spent kayaking in Rookery Bay is a peaceful way to get some exercise, 
enjoy the natural world  and learn a bit.

21 comments:

Andy said...

You just showed me a part of Florida that I haven't seen before. Thank you Jack it was interesting.

Mersad said...

This is a very exotic side of Florida!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Lowell said...

How was the smell and the mosquitos? I don't think I ever got to Rookery Bay. My loss, from what I see in your pictures!

Luis Gomez said...

Beautiful shots and colors Jack.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Sounds like a brilliant way to spend the day Jack, beautifully shown here.

Stefan Jansson said...

This sounds and looks like a great outing.

RedPat said...

I think I would love that, Jack!

Michelle said...

Something I would like to do. Looks like you had an excellent tour guide.

VP said...

A very good and interesting reportage, I have never seen shells like these!

Anonymous said...

Thank You, Jack! Wonderful photos and captions. It is always a treat to have guest like you and paddle in the beautiful waters of Rookery Bay Reserve. We look forward to seeing you again next year. Happy New Year! Susan and George

Sylvia K said...

I've never seen shells like these either!! A fascinating post/pics for the day, Jack!! Thanks, as always, for sharing the fun!! Have a great new week!

Sharon said...

What a great tour you've taken us on today. This looks healthy, fun and interesting, a triple hit.

jennyfreckles said...

I had no idea of the connection between mangroves and oysters. Equally impressed that you apparently took your camera in a kayak. Brave!

Birdman said...

I hear you're missing some mighty fine weather at these beaches.

Taken For Granted said...

Excellent photos from this fun tour. I'd love to do this.

William Kendall said...

It looks like a beautiful place to kayak!

Bob Crowe said...

Makes me look forward to anther visit to Tamarindo next month. Don't think they have any animals that color, though.

Randy said...

Great way to spend the day.

EG CameraGirl said...

Kayaking around the mangroves sounds like a great experience. I've heard of mangroves but I don't think I've ever seen them before.

Unknown said...

What an amazing trip that looks to be, not only beautiful scenery but a nature lesson along the way.
Have a great week!

Kay said...

This looks like a worthy adventure. Since ibises aren't found in these parts they alone would be worth a paddle. Throw in that weather and a beautiful bay and you've really got a five star day.