Monday, October 4, 2010

I Love a Parade

The Park Road Parade was held on Saturday.  Small-scale local parades are charming.  This is an annual parade that is produced just because the Park Road merchants and other boosters want to have a parade.

In a parade like this, we have firefighters and fire engines, fraternal orders, karate studios, high school bands and bagpipe bands, senior citizens, dance studios and old cars.  There are East Asians, Brazilians and Italians.  Blacks, whites, browns and yellows.  Pest exterminators and landscapers.  Teacher of the year and police officer of the year.  Dog obedience classes.  Balloons and clowns.  You get the idea.

A few thousand people showed up Saturday on a beautiful early fall day to watch the parade or to march in it.

9 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow What a fabulous event!Your pictures have a delightful energy, colours and beautiful smiles!Adorable shots, mainly the last one! :)
If I could be there for sure I would be with the Brazilians! ;)
*** in some way it reminds me my French class here, 21 people from all over the world together trying to speak French with positivism!
Have a nice week,
hugs
Léia

Gunn said...

So HAPPY and colorful photos!:) Nice event you have been to.

Halcyon said...

I agree, this is the best kind of parade. Local and homegrown! Looks like everyone was full of smiles.

Birdman said...

Gotta believe some of those paraders had the shivers!

James Mark said...

Hi from York, England. Thanks for calling in! I wish I had time to follow more blogs, but I still have to earn a living! I have enjoyed visiting this page - also fascinating to see how many English place-names there are over there where you are.

Janet said...

It's always better when the locals have a part in planning and doing.

Randy said...

Looks like it was a good time!

Leslie D. said...

Oh my gosh this is America at its best. All Micky Rooney and Judy Garland "let's put on a show!" Who doesn't love a parade?

Sharon said...

What a fun way to start a Saturday. I have a good friend who has a cabin in a small town in the mountains north of Phoenix. That little town has a parade once a year and these photos reminded me of that event. They have much the same particpants as you describe in your comments.